Zumbs’ Darker Sunglasses
Posted by Zumbs on September 20, 2009
The sun glasses in the game were very transparent and lacked reflection from light sources (specular light).
This mod changes sunglasses so that your eyes are almost invisible, and even adds reflection from light sources. The new, cooler sunglasses are now called “Mirrored Shades”. Even though you didn’t kill Mason or dug up a stiff, you are looking cool. Cool enough to get that +1 Charisma, you’ve been waiting for. How about that?
Since I started working on this mod, a lot of requests have come in. So, now you have multiple options for which type of texture you prefer (take a look at the screenshots below).
Fallout 3. I have not applied the 18.104.22.168 patch (as I do not have the problems described).
3. Installation and uninstallation
To install, you have to perform the following steps:
- Browse to My Documents\My games\Fallout3, and make a backup of FALLOUT.INI
- Open FALLOUT.INI and change the line “bInvalidateOlderFiles=0” to “bInvalidateOlderFiles=1”.
- Extract the contents of this archive to your Fallout 3/Data directory
- If you wish to use a non-default texture (“more transparent”, “so 60s”, red, silver1, or silver2), browse to Fallout 3\Data\textures\characters\hair and rename the texture to ZumbsSunglasses.dds (you must rename the existing one).
- Open your favorite Fallout 3 launcher (I recommend using FOMM)
- Check ZumbsDarkerSunglasses.esp (if you want the replacer) or ZumbsDarkerSunglasses_no_replace.esp if you prefer not using replacers.
- If you are using the non-replacer version, you can add the new Mirrored Shades to your inventory by opening the console (the ~ key below Esc) and type:
where xx is the position of the esp in your load order, counting Fallout3.esm as 0. Please note that the position is in base 16.
To uninstall, uncheck ZumbsDarkerSunglasses.esp and delete the following files from your Fallout 3/Data directory:
If you installed version 1.0, you should also delete:
It should be compatible with everything, that does not edit the sun glasses.
If you find any incompatibilities or bugs, please report them to me.
5. Version history
Version 1.0: Initial release (November 15th 2008)
Version 1.1: Released on November 17th 2008
- Added two new textures, “more transparent” and “so 60s”
- Added support for non-replacer version
- Changed file structure to allow support for non-replacer version
Version 1.2: Released on December 7th 2008
- Bugfix: Added MIP maps to default texture
- Changed Lucky Shades to use new textures
- Added three new textures, red, silver1 and silver2
6. Terms of Usage
You are free to use, distribute and edit this mod. If you upload it to another site, I ask that you kindly notify me. If you edit and upload it, please notify me as well.
- Timeslip for FOMM
- ScripterRon for FO3 Archive Utility
- The NifTools team
- The GIMP team
- Sickleyield for the article on retexturing in GIMP (http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Better_Retextures_:_Detailed_Guide_For_NifSkope_and_the_GIMP)
- The modding community at large for their great ingenuity